Friday 25 March 2022

Pearls of parental wisdom!

There is nothing that elicits as much awe as a winner in a Quiz competition. It is the pinnacle of cerebral achievement. All other exams have a bounded syllabus and hard work will bail you out. Not so with a quiz competition. Here, you need the ability to sift through a mountain of information and recollect the precise point on the spur of the moment. It is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack or so I learnt many moons ago.

Back in high school, one Sunday, I was suddenly consumed by a fiery mission. I rummaged through the bookshelves at home and retrieved the multiple volumes of Encyclopedia. Stacking them in sequence I was distressed that one volume was missing. Clicking my tongue in disapproval, I continued with my excavation. More material was exhumed- English Classics, a book of world records and an age-old Dictionary. I asked the attic to be emptied and got bundles of newspapers dating back by a decade. My appetite for information was insatiable.

A pall of dust hung in the air and the home was strewn with books and newspapers. I took the first newspaper and jotted down in my diary, “Chief Minister inaugurates dam”. My father asked, “What are you trying to do?” I answered, “I have a quiz competition coming up!” He was impressed and asked, “When is it?” I answered, “Tomorrow!” He looked at me in disbelief and verified, “Tomorrow?” Nonchalantly, I added, “Yes, I have one hour before the quiz. I plan to go to the school library!” “You have time to only learn the capitals of all the countries and their currencies!” he gave some sage words of advice. I followed that approach and felt empowered with my new- found knowledge about “Addis Ababa” and “dinar”.

The Quiz Competition was a humbling experience. The questions toyed with me like a feather caught in a hurricane. Leave alone answering, even comprehending was tough with questions ranging from UN Security Council to Gram Panchayat! The bouncers were so high that I needn’t even duck!

The wheels of time moved incessantly. One evening, my daughter was browsing through the bookshelf. “I have a Quiz Competition appa!” she indicated. “How are you preparing for it?” I asked. She replied, “You cannot prepare for a quiz. It is all about trivia.” A part of me wanted to ask, “If it is about trivia and trivial things, why are you wasting your precious time?” Nevertheless, I advised her, “Make sure you learn the capitals of all the countries and their currencies!”

Life had come a full circle. I felt happy to handover the pearls of parental wisdom to the next generation!

2 comments:

  1. Master guide by Khanna was the ultimate for IIT GK paper, I recall. I wrote IIT entrance exam in Sion in 1966. Not wrote merely sat for 30 minutes everyday just to escape the military manouvers of my Dad. In 1996 after 30 years my son did the same thing in Chennai to escape his military Mom. Results : IIT was not lucky to serve my family.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I never knew IIT had a GK paper. At least when I took it chitappa, there was no GK paper!!!! GK is very tough!!! What do you read? Where do you stop? But nice to know these dates 1966!!!! I never knew IIT exams date back to that time!!!

    ReplyDelete