Sunday 21 May 2023

The ChatGPT takeover

The internet took over our lives, so much so, we can hardly imagine life without it. It has proliferated into every nook and cranny, across all strata of society. 

We are told, we are on the cusp of a similar takeover, this time, by ChatGPT.

It is such a buzzword that if you express ignorance, people glare at you, “You have not heard about ChatGPT?”  “Who is he?” I asked. “It’s a chatbot!” my friend replied. “What’s a chatbot?” I questioned. “It’s a bot!” he replied. “What’s a bot?” I asked, wondering if he is going to answer- “a bot is an ot”!

Thankfully, I did get a bounded answer- “A bot is something you can program to do certain tasks”. “What tasks can chatGPT do?” I asked. “It can do all tasks- it can write software code, better than you!” I was relieved, “I don’t even want to write code. I’ll gladly let chatGPT write my code!” “Then, what will you do?” he asked. “Well, I will do something, may be, farming!” I replied with a wry smile.

“ChatGPT can do better farming. It can be programmed to sow seeds, water the plant, everything!”

Apparently, ChatGPT is already everywhere. It can do a student’s homework. Professors are having a tough time to decide if the homework was done by ChatGPT or the student. For that, they have created a bigger chatGPT- to detect the student’s ChatGPT. And of course, the students will not sit idle. They will invent a bigger ChatGPT to swallow the professor’s ChatGPT. It is like the small fish swallowed by the big fish, extending ad infinitum.

“This is the future!” my friend said grimly. “Can this be averted?” I asked. “No! It is already set in motion!” It looked as if humanity was destined to be non-participating zombies soon, taken over by ChatGPT and its ilk.

“Can I ask ChatGPT to destroy itself?” I asked. Like the demon Bhasmasura, ChatGPT can place its hand on its head and end this vicious cycle. One pandemic was enough. We don’t want another one now.

Suddenly, my friend was in a tearing hurry. “I need to check if the ChatGPT software code has considered this self-destruction clause. If not, I just have to add a one-liner instruction, “if self-destruct, then, do-nothing! That will make ChatGPT immortal!” He got into his driverless car.  As he sped away, the police booked him for rash driving and took him to custody. I was relieved that the self-destruct loophole was left open. There is still hope for mankind!

But now, I wonder if this article should be printed. Who knows? ChatGPT may read this article, get nefarious ideas from it, take care of the self-destruction clause on its own, and attain immortality!

Mankind is then certainly doomed! 

P.S: This article was written by ChatGPT.



No comments:

Post a Comment