Friday 11 August 2023

Why did we study all this?

“Do you recall Permutations and Combinations?” “Yes, I recall those topics in Mathematics vaguely. It was the stuff of nightmares! That part is green in my memory. Thankfully, never needed them! I have forgotten the difference between the two! Was there one?”

 “How about ‘tan-theta’?” “That was Trigonometry. I have wiped clean all the details from Loni’s textbook. And those tricky problems to prove LHS equal to RHS? Like sublimation, they now exist as vapor somewhere!"

“What about those problems centered on a pulley with weights hanging at both ends?” “Oh! Those ones? Spent man-hours, teary eyed, solving the Physics problems! It is ironical. Even in my childhood, we never saw a pulley. Why did we rack our brains on that equipment belonging to the Industrial Age?

“How about the Periodic Table in Chemistry?” “Yes! It was an enormous chart populated with various elements! I had memorized the entire table. And crammed all those chemical equations! I recall none. I think NaCl meant salt, correct?”

“How about Biology?” “Nothing was needed after class 12. It is a relief! I remember the flower and its constituents- Calyx, Corolla, Gymnasium-something, and something-something-else!”

“How about Chandragupta? Surely you will remember him.” “Chandragupta? Yes, he was a king. But I forget if he was in the Gupta or the Maurya dynasty. Was he in BC or AD?”

“Do you remember where Jowar and Bajra are grown?” “Yes, I remember! Only the weeks, months and years spent hitting the head against the wall, studying Geography. I don’t have the faintest recollection now. By the way, what is Bajra?”

“How about Gerund?” “Gerund? Is it a fruit? Even the name has vanished! English Grammar was such a bugbear. Wren and Martin’s tome safely rests on the same shelf I left it, some 35 years ago!

“Zilla Parishad? I liked Civics as much as I did Castor Oil! I remember nothing.”

“If such is the case, what do you remember about school at all?”

“Apart from academics, I recall every other detail! Academics was like carrying an enormous block of ice on your head- starting in the early hours of the morning. You huffed and puffed your way, doubled over by its weight! By mid-day, in the scorching heat of the sun, it started melting. By the time you hit the evening of life, there was no load. You felt light and relieved. It left you wondering- why did I carry that ice-block in the first place?"

If you thought the above was an interview, it was not. It was a frank introspection- a soliloquy of sorts. It is ironical- 10-15 years were spent learning subjects in school and college, that were never used thereafter. It seems such a colossal waste. It begs asking those tough questions, “How much of education is relevant? What role does it play in shaping our future?”

A readymade answer is this, “Basic education builds the foundation. It must be broad, to give a well-rounded personality. It prepares you for specialization later. That’s when you create depth. So, you need both- breadth first and depth later!”

Funnily, when you ask a working professional for the skills needed to succeed in his job, he admits, “All you need is some analytical ability, some communication skill, and some diligence. You pick up the rest on the job. After all, the job is not rocket-science!”

Who is using these subjects in later life? Perhaps, only the coaching institutes who are milking a career, teaching them!

“That is the whole point, My Lord! Saare bayaan ko madd-e-nazar rakhte huey, Your Honor, hum is nateejey par pahunchte hain, we reach this conclusion, that basic education necessarily needs trimming. In trying to provide a wide base, we are spread far too thin. We stuff a child’s brain with too much information, most of which is arguably useless, in the long run.  We need a new mantra- Lessen the load, kindle the creativity, and mould the child so that it sees “learning as fun”! The future will then be in safe hands. I rest my case, Your Honor!”

 

 


12 comments:

  1. Shankarsahay.wordpress.com11 August 2023 at 23:55

    Superb. Keep us the great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think students need to learn the things which are important which comes into their life for eg most of the people doesn't know how infection spread they touch every thing which causes infection like hand washing, they don't how mosquito are dangerous. Basic human values and civic sense. I have seen this in even educated souls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes agree. Unfortunately, all these important things take a back-seat and we are left with our syllabus and curriculum as the main things!

      Delete
  3. From Ramani Kumar.
    This topic is very close to my heart. I am fighting in many universities on modernisation of syllabus with no success....
    My considered professional opinion is 50% of the syllabus in every class starting from 10th std all the way upto Masters can be chopped down. Upto 9th is all we need as foundation
    I am not including medical here.
    In its ( wasteful 50%), life skills, problem solving abilities, analyzing skills, logical reasoning and societal value systems, current technologies etc need to be taught in abundance
    I was reaching a 12 th std student yesterday, how to solve integration of sin inverse cos x. I told her I have not come across any differentiation or integration problems, in my long 50 years professional life that too in designs.
    50% limit is safe enough, I feel
    Any one remembers Benjamin Kuo, Ruth Hurwitz criteria etc? Gosh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow!! That you teach integration of sin-inverse-cos...is simply amazing!!! I cannot even think about it! I think this requires a different wiring in the brain!!! But good to know about your effort to change the system. That is surely needed!!!

      Delete
  4. U didn't have set theory and Matrix. That is more fun and keep u occupied. Little bit of debit the receiver and credit the giver concept still works. I have also remembered LHS equals RHS.
    The whole thing was left behind and binary numbers started pouring in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing you recall set-theory and matrix and fun associated with it!!! I only recall drawing square-like boxes and writing some numbers within...and the teacher who taught me! Mr Goyal would go on and on...with matrices...in his safari suit! Sir, can you end the class...and let us go free pls? It was like that!!!

      Delete
  5. I recall a comment from someone.. when someone is not good at arts including the performing ones.. people say it is not for everyone, it's alright if you can't continue.. but academics?? Think about it 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Yogita, we seem to be ok with someone not good at arts, but use a different yardstick for academics. It's as if...you have to be good at it!! I hope in generations to come, all these attitudes will change for the good!

      Delete
    2. Rajkumar Nagarajan14 August 2023 at 08:10

      Nicely written Shankar. Honestly in school days the only subjects that made my life a complete misery were the language courses like Marathi and Hindi. I could not compete with the folks who spoke those languages at their homes and no help was forthcoming from my parents who could recite Sangam literature from memory but had no background in the language of Meer, Ghalib and Zauk. But ironically, it was these language classes that I have used either to understand a political discourse or read poetry later in life.

      Delete
    3. Hilarious comment Raj!!! Yes, I took French....not because it was going to be useful, but because it was a "scoring subject"!!! But good that you were able to put Hindi and Marathi to use later!!! You must have learnt them well!!!

      Delete