Friday 24 November 2023

On reincarnation and past lives!

“Paranormal” phenomena defy conventional logic.  The inexplicability teases the human mind. Among the paranormal, the topic on “reincarnation” is a favorite. Movies over the years have fed us with enough material. Way back in 1958, the film Madhumati revolved around this theme. Even now, when we listen to the haunting songs and watch the black-and-white visuals, we are irresistibly drawn to this mysterious subject. Decades later, during my childhood, the plot of the blockbuster film “Karz”, was centered on “reincarnation”. The protagonist remembered and played the same chilling tune on the guitar, from an earlier life, to track down his past-life assassin!

When we ponder over this subject, a shiver runs down the spine and the forearms are pocked with goosebumps. The fear factor gets magnified especially when the topic is discussed at night, and the lights are out. If there is a light drizzle, the spooky effect is more! And if it is night and rainy, coupled with the wail of the wind, the impact is still greater!

There was one such occasion. It was night and rainy and windy. We were in Kumbhakonam. My aunt narrated the story of one Mr. Seturaman who lived in the same town. As aunt pedalled the swing in the outer veranda, with each creak of the swing, Mr. Seturaman’s eerie story came to light. With my palms cupped to my cheek, I listened to her unblinkingly!

Mr. Seturaman was an ordinary man. However, from time to time, he went into a “trance”. During such bouts, he remembered a past life. In the dim and distant past, he was part of the Chola empire. In the trance, a voice from the past ordered him to visit such-and-such temple that bore a particular inscription. Propelled by the voice, he visited the temple and deciphered the inscription. Before we dismiss these anecdotes as fictitious, Mr. Seturaman has apparently chronicled these details in a book. As per historians, it fills several gaps in the Chola history, hitherto unknown.

I could not sleep that night. A thousand questions assailed the mind. How could Mr. Seturaman remember his past life? If he could remember his past life, could I? It sent me on a brooding trail. Soon, there were ghoulish faces peering through the windows, voices speaking from the walls and background music from a bygone era.

In the morning, I asked aunt, “Is Mr. Seturaman real?” Aunt said, “Yes, sometimes, he comes home for coffee!” I did not want to meet Mr. Seturaman at all. He might be dressed in an odd way, wearing a crown, carrying a sword, and speaking in archaic Tamil! Who would want to meet him? “No! No! He looks just like us, with a shirt and veshti!” aunt assured. There was an added worry. What if this man looks at me, and remembers me as an enemy of his, in some past life, and runs after me, brandishing a sword in hand! That was a possibility, isn’t it? After all, most movie plots are based on eking out revenge and baying for blood.

The more I pondered over this topic, the more certain I was- “Yes, I also had a past that I can now remember.” Sister asked, “What past life? You remembered you were eating rasgulla and drinking rose-milk even then?” Sister was just being insensitive. “No silly! I recalled I was also in the Chola empire! I feel I can also read temple inscriptions now.”

“Do you know to read Tamil?” sister asked. “No! I don’t!” I replied. “Then, how will you read the temple inscriptions?” was her pertinent question. “In my past life, I knew…no?” It was getting too confusing- juxtaposing the present limitations, with prowess in a previous life.

“In fact, when I think hard about my past life, I remember…” I tried to explain. Sister cut me, “Yes, I know exactly what you were, in the past life! A donkey! If you think hard, you will remember how to hee-haw also!” The absurdity of the comment killed the profundity of the entire topic! Mr. Seturaman, reincarnation, Chola empire, skeletons from the past…everything was wiped off in one stroke. All I wanted to do now, was get back in kind, at sister!

The beauty of childhood- the profound and the ridiculous co-exist, and flow in and out, with such ease!

But sometimes, even now, at the dead of night, I recall…images from a dim and distant past…the jingling of anklets…dwijaavanti raga in the background…and…and…never mind!


P.S: If you need a spooky song to go with this article, here is one:

(42) Aami je tomar - 720p Bhool Bhulaiya Shreya Ghoshal - YouTube




6 comments:

  1. Aww, I was hoping you would have really remembered your past. Wanted to check out a few things about my own past. For instance, did Rajaraja Chola look a bit like me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Hari!!!!! How do I respond to this? Totally stumped!!!!

      Delete
  2. Mr. Sethuraman was one of the finest historians ever.. I am happy you wrote about him.. I have some pictures of him which I will share with you personally.. you will be surprised

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super Yogita!! I didn't know anything about him...except that one conversation with your mother described above!!! I can now associate a face with that name!! Your mother said... he was into automobile engineering and all this trance and interest in history...happened much later in life! Inexplicable!!

      Delete
  3. Aravind is too good in telling spooky stories on this subject. During shyam Raghu poonal, he used to do this and lot of kids listened to him. This kmu sethuraman. I want to meet him and get to know about chola life style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! good to know about hidden talents in the family chitappa!!! Next time, we will get him to narrate!!! KMU Seturaman is no more. Chitti told me today. But his books are around. But in Tamil...I guess! I need a translator!!!!

      Delete