Friday 22 September 2023

What's in a name?

Recently, I got a call from the HR department, that my name was not matching with the other records they have. I had to furnish all the details- passport, Aadhar card, PAN card etc. I discovered there were minor differences between these documents. Either my name had a slight variation, or my father’s name, sometimes both.

This is not the first time that my name has led to issues. Almost the entire world works on the premise that everyone has 3 parts to the name- “first name”, “father’s name” and “surname”. It has to follow a pattern like “John F Kennedy (JFK)” and “Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar (SRT)”.

People from the southern part of India face a peculiar problem. We don’t have a surname. “What do you mean you don’t have a surname?” “Yes, I don’t have a surname sir. I have a name, that’s all!” “What about your father? Does he have a surname?” “My father also does not have a surname. He also has only a name!”  Thankfully, he didn’t go further up, in my ancestry, but the sense of bewilderment was apparent.

Across the globe, any form carries 3 separate spaces to be mandatorily filled. If it is an online form, it is a greater stick in the mud and will not allow you to proceed to the next line, until you have filled all items.

The root of the problem starts here and haunts you right through life. Depending on the mood of the day, I have tried different antics. In some, I repeated, “Shankar Shankar Shankar”. In some, I filled “Shankar Gopalkrishnan Gopalkrishnan”. Sometimes, I tried other combinations, “Gopalkrishnan Shankar Gopalkrishnan”. If I was particularly cranky, I tried initials- “Shankar G G” or “G Shankar G” or “G G Shankar”. I took advice from informed people. “See! We call them Gavaskar, Pataudi etc. because that’s their surname. If you want to be called Shankar, put that as your surname! With this sage advice, I have school certificates sequenced the opposite way- as “Gopalkrishnan Shankar”.

I have often toyed with the idea of “manufacturing” a surname. Some people use their profession- like Farokh Engineer or Bejan Daruwala. May be, I can be “computerkar”. Others use their native place as a surname. Musicians like Lalgudi and Semmangudi have place-oriented surnames. But what if you are born in a metropolis? It will look plain silly to be called “Bombay Shankar! “Hey Bombay! Come here!” Also, what should you do when Bombay is changed to Mumbai? What if the native place is a mouthful like Tirupaapuliyur or Tiruvidaimarudur? You would run out of ink or have no space on the form, leaving your name dangling midway- something like “Shankar Tirupaapu”!

Across the Atlantic, the surname is called “last name”.  At immigration, they often ask you, “Sir, what is your “last name”?” You wonder how you should answer- “Last name? I don’t recall who called me names...last. Hopefully he didn’t call me an idiot!” Jokes apart, they have a fourth category to the name in these places called “preferred name” or “chosen name”. It is a nickname. You wonder if you should write something like “Bunty” or “munna”- so that you would read Shankar “munna” Gopalkrishnan in full! It’s easy for the American. He writes “Jack” which is apparently a nickname for John- as simple as that!

Well before the children were born, we already had a surname fabricated and ready for them. We didn’t want them to go through this identity crisis. Their first names came much later. This created a fresh problem. At times, you need to prove that the children are related to you at the immigration desk. If they go by their own last names, and you do not have one, how do you prove you are one family?

Didn’t someone say, “What’s in a name? A rose by any other name, would smell as sweet”? Apparently, the gentleman who wrote this, followed this advice too. There are at least 6 different ways he signed his works- William Shakp, William Shaksper, Wm Shakspe, William Shakspere, Willm Shakspere and finally William Shakespeare.

If this bard had lived in today’s day and age, his works would have been dismissed as non-authentic. And even if he got past this hurdle, he would have got stuck at the immigration desk. “Guru! We don’t care if you are Shakespeare…ok aa?  Your passport-name does not match your 10th class school-certificate name ok aa? First, get 3 xerox copies of these documents signed, stamped, and endorsed by a gazetted officer…ok aa? Then, we will allow you. Ok aa?”

 

10 comments:

  1. I think you missed out maiden name.. I think 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point!!!! I didn't think about it!!! In a future topic, I can explore that!!!!

      Delete
  2. Actually, u have to match aadhar, PAN, bank account and all should have the name and initial. While registering, they have this game what u have written. But, u can change your name style any way u want and they will do it for u. For example, my pan name was kalyanasundaram with no intial, my sb ac V Kalyana sundaram and my aadhar kalyana sundaram v. Try matching all these with my KYC and they have Viswanathan kalyanasundaram. Iwhat I do to set right all these. I don't go abroad and so passport is out of this. I hope I have made some sense here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super Chitappa!!! It's good to know correction is possible...and there is method out of this madness!!!

      Delete
  3. Good one, Shankar! What's in a name thought a few folks who were starting a business. They named their venture WIAN.

    In Shakespeare's land, I have come across names like David Kitchen. Strange to have someone with 'Paakashaala' as their surname in this part of the World. In addition to maiden names, you missed the woes of people with names like Gates Sr., William Jr. and George IV.

    "It's a funny world, Guru".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Anil!!! Incisive comments as usual!!! Yes, I missed this Sr, Jr thing!!!! All those suffixes....that will make a future topic!!!!

      Delete
  4. Hindu traditions identify individuals as forefathers, father, and lowly self in that order. Abhivaadhaye.is a classic example where you start with the Ghothra, Veda, Name. My name in India was thus A G Ravi. Western traditions call for First, Middle, Last where the ‘self’ takes precedence over the history - Ravi G Appan. So long as one remembers to maintain the ‘self’ to be ‘first’, you have an easy way out. Swapping the two could result in multi factor authentication errors! Aham Brahmaasmi! So self is first and foremost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superb....philosophical answer....well presented from Indian and Western standpoint! I has not thought about it...the way you have articulated. Lovely answer Ravi!!!

      Delete
  5. Sir this is a peculiar and never ending problem with me since my 10 th class days. I use to write my name as Shaik Abdul khadeer, after seeing my certificate I was shocked to see my name written as Quadeer. From then onwards people started calling as Quadeer,Qovadeer and some very easy going called me as Khadar till now I am facing these problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes bhai! I can understand how it must feel....when they change the entire spelling!! And once the mistake is made in class-10, there is no recovery possible...and the same mistake has to be carried on! May be, there is a provision to change this, but after so many years, we get used to this....and don't want another activity to sort out these errors!

      Delete